Saturday, February 16, 2008

If Andy Pettitte falters, Yankees could regret passing on Johan Sanatana

TAMPA - Andy Pettitte's teammates believe he will have little
trouble handling the distractions that are sure to follow him this
season. Hank Steinbrenner hopes they're right, or his regret over not
dealing for Johan Santana will be even greater than it already seems to
be.


Steinbrenner doesn't think Pettitte will have any problems dealing
with the fallout from his HGH admission and his role in the Roger
Clemens-Brian McNamee saga, though he admitted there is "obviously some
concern" about the lefthander.


Distractions or not, the Yankees' senior vice president said
yesterday he expects Pettitte - who is due to throw a bullpen session
today in Houston before reporting to Tampa on Monday - to give the
Yankees the same production on the mound that he always has.


"I don't know him that well, but I know he's a tough kid. I think
he'll handle it fine," Steinbrenner said Friday in a telephone
interview with the Daily News. "Hopefully he'll have a good year. I
still expect what I expected from him before. I'm sure he does, too."

No comments:

NYC Traffic Cam